Monday, November 13, 2006

Purple Tomatoes - Close Your Eyes and Eat

tidbits that tantalize

...Take A

Wild Guess.

Jellybeans have them. So do M&M's, Life Savers, Twizzlers and even grandma's homemade cupcakes. In light of the cavalcade of color, researchers at Oregon State University finally asked the obvious question, "Why not tomatoes?"

After six years in development, the scientists expect to see the purple - yes, Purple - tomatoes on store shelves within two years. Derived from a South African species, there is more to these eye-catching vegetables (fruit?) than meets the eye. The purple skin of the tomato, a deep hue similar to an eggplant, contains the same beneficial phytochemical found in the naturally colorful blueberry. The phytochemical is thought to help reduce the risk of cancer and heart disease.

Now, if they could just develop a purple double-fudge brownie à la mode...

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Tim, I just had to drop by and see what funny yet educational information you have posted on your blog. I'm not disappointed. I'll probably even eat a purple tomato one of these days!

Yvonne

4:20 PM  
Blogger WriterForHire said...

Purple tomatoes? Wow! My son will go crazy (purple is his favorite color). Thanks for creating an informative yet entertaining blog.

Cathy Ipcizade :)

5:31 PM  
Blogger Hal said...

I can just see it now... Purple tomotoes and waffles for breakfast yummy...

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Purple chocolate? Yeah....I can do that!!!! You're very witty...keep it up.

Taryn

3:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How interesting and eye pleasing. I can't wait to make salad using a purple tomato!

4:44 PM  
Blogger An Inconsistent Writer said...

I love purple food! Blueberries, cabbage, eggplant, beetroot [does that count as purple?]... Purple tomatoes sound delicious! But oh the purple double choc fudge - and healthy too! I want some right now!

Thanks for the interesting, informative and entertaining article. I'm going to go read a few more of your pieces while I can [a storm's about to hit].

cheers - Trish Anderson

11:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home