Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Problems in Paradise?

news you may not know

...This Is My

Happy Face


Who knew? After decades of furious pursuit of everything-life-has-to-offer, it seems those with the most may actually have the least. Especially if the unit of measure is happiness. In an apparent repudiation of a fundamental tenet of American life, it appears the collection of stuff is overrated...

MTV Networks International (MTVNI) conducted a global survey of 5,400 young people in 14 countries to assess their sense of wellbeing. The six-month survey produced a Wellbeing Index that measured youth's perceptions of their safety, how they fit within society and their attitudes about the future. The results were telling.

Young people in developed countries fared poorly, with fewer than 30% of youths in Britain and America being happy about their lives. In Japan, fewer than 8% of the youths looked up from their high-tech toys to say, "Yes, I'm happy." The other 92% were out shopping and could not be reached for comment.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, youths from developing countries were quite smitten with life. 75% of the young people from Argentina and South Africa were optimistic about their future. Not to be outdone, a full 84% of Chinese youths said they expected the future to be better. Rampant speculation is already swirling about this potentially new benefit of drinking green tea.

Overall, youths from developed countries felt less safe, were more concerned with negative impacts of globalization and were less encouraged about their future prospects.

Alarmed by the survey results, U.S. companies have shifted into high gear to quickly address the problems. A new Xbox offering, Serenity Now, will hit store shelves in time for Christmas, T-Mobile has launched an inspirational series of ringtones and Starbucks has introduced the Double Mocha Mind-Calming Macchiato.

...Where would today's young people be without American innovation? It's hard to say. But, it's possible they may be walking through a city park, unplugged from the modern madness, participating in a previously unheard of activity - smiling.


1 Comments:

Blogger sylvia c. said...

Tim,

You bring a great issue to face:
We need to simplify.

We are drowning in our own stuff, losing ourselves along the way.

Nice topic, nice writing, nice job.

Sylvia C.
www.dream-imagine-soar.blogspot.com

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home